Once the term ‘Disabilities’ specially Intellectual Disabilities, Mental Handicap, Mental Retardation, ‘Autism’ Neurodevelopmental Disabilities were unknown in our country. The children with these problems were treated as mentally ill, mental patients or ‘Mad’ in the society. In these circumstances, SWID Bangladesh established through self initiatives of some parents, psychologists and philanthropists of the society with the registered by the Department of Social Services of the Ministry of the social welfare Govt. of Bangladesh in 1978.
Establishment of SWID Bangladesh which is the pioneer organization in the field of Neurodevelopmental Disabilities with scope of work on advocacy including disability movement, social awareness towards the disabled people, their education, socialization, social security, legal rights, entertainment employment rehabilitation and social dignity. Presently it is organizing 135 schools at 61 Districts under 8 Divisions covering District headquarters to Upazila and UP areas of the country, providing Special Education, Vocational Training and Integrated School & Inclusive Education through parents and social cooperation to achieve normalization of the PWID and Autism with the Family and Community Based Rehabilitation. No. of beneficiaries/Students with Intellectual Disabilities and Autism raised to 12000. Providing clinical and therapeutic services with assessment of the clients, counseling to the parents, speech therapy, physiotherapy, occupational therapy and intensive care for the children with Down syndrome and Cerebral palsy under the National Institute for the Intellectually Disabled & Autistic (NIIDA).
SWID is in the mainstream and social dignity of the nation child with intellectual disabilities, Autism Down syndrome and cerebral palsy. In this movement SWID established a positive concept and environment in avoiding negative attitudes of community people about intellectual disabilities and autism through its activities in special education and training, as a result our disabled and autistic children have achieved bright success in winning the World Special Olympics gold medal.
SWID provided technical support and professional cooperation to establish “Sena Sohayok School” under the supervision of ‘Sena Paribar Kollayan Samiti’ in 2006 at Dhaka Cantonment area which is now known as “PROYASH” (A special school for the children with special needs). In the beginning of this school, SWID provided assessment of disabled children, teaching with IEP and therapeutic services through its Senior Professionals & Teachers. Now “Prayash” has become an international Standard School with its educational, cultural activities and infrastructural facilities. So SWID feels very proud of its better development and expansion of schools at Chittagong, Jessore and Ghatail Cantonment areas. In appreciation of SWID Bangladesh the Government came forward with financial support. The Govt established ‘Jatiyo Protibondhi Unnayan Foundation’ under the ministry of Social Welfare in cooperation of SWID.
SWID provided active cooperation to form ‘Jatiyo Protibondhi Forum’, organized various programs on Disability right for welfare of the PWD which has become a Network organization of 380. Establishment of a National Institute for the intellectually disabled and Autistic (NIIDA) research on disabilities, PWID, autism, down syndrome and cerebral palsy.
- Promoting Special Education, Vocational Training and Inclusive Education through Special Schools for the Children with Intellectual Disabilities and Autism including Down syndrome and Cerebral Palsy to be rehabilitated as a self –reliant in the Society through Family and Community Based Rehabilitation.
- Advocacy to the people of all sectors of the country for mainstreaming of the PWID & Autism and establishment of their equal rights with social dignity.
- Creation of social awareness for prevention of the disabilities and protection of legal and equal rights in the family.
- Rehabilitation of the PWID & Autism through their employment facilities, participation in the National Development Activities, Scout, Sports and Cultural activities organized by the concerned departments of the Government .
MANAGEMENT OF THE ORGANIZATION
General Members of the Branches constitute the base of the organizational management. There are altogether 4,174 General Members throughout the country under the Branches, majority of the General Members are the parents of the persons with intellectual disability and others are professionals and social workers. Branch Members elect the
Branch Executive Committee which runs Branch schools and other activities. Representatives from the Branches constitute National Council which elects the National Executive Committee for every two years. National Executive Committee is responsible for running the overall activities of the organization and accountable to the National Council.
PRESENT DONORS AND INCOME
Main donor of the above projects is Ministry of Social Welfare, Government of Bangladesh, and small funds are received from Bangladesh Jatiya Samaj
Kallayan Parishad, National Foundation for the Development of the Disabled, local donations, and income from reserved money.
CAPACITY OF THE ORGANIZATION
The organization SWID Bangladesh has following assets to implement the projects:
- A group of professionals under the banner of National Institute for the Intellectually Disabled (NIID) who are capable of organizing and running projects.
- Good number of social activists who can participate in implementing the project activities where necessary
- Has a network throughout the country in 58 district with its branches
- It has available physical facility to run some of project activities e.g. Orientation program for the activist members, National Conference and other office works.
- It has working relation with the government and other NGOs and also with voluntary and philanthropic organization.
- It has experience in organizing the development programs for persons with disabilities.
- Above all it has sound financial and administrative management to utilize money with due care and run projects.
- Specialized Library with 5000 books and journals.
- It has two building with Auditorium and Training room and other facilities.
SOURCES OF FUND
- Membership subscription,
- Donor/personal donation,
- Contribution of NCSW, NLI, Mujibur Rahman Foundation, Tahera Hoque’s Family,
- Government of Bangladesh (MOSW) funding from FY 1995-96 partially and then 100% salary support for 486 Teachers-Staff (out of 690) from 2009 under Govt. Policies & Principles through NFDD ( JPUF).
FUTURE PLAN OF SWID BANGLADESH
- Expansion of Special Education Programmes for the deprived and neglected Children with ‘ID’ and Autism in establishment of Special and Vocational Training Centre, Physical facilities with equipments for Sports/Special Olympic games and Cultural Activities throughout the Country including home-based and CBR Programmes.
- Construction of `SWID Bhaban’ at 4, Eskaton Garden, Dhaka with Following facilities along with Special Schools building at own land of the SWID Branches throughout the country:
- Special Education Classes, Swimming pool, a Gymnasium, Indoor Games Halts and Cultural Activities Unit.
- A Modern Therapeutics Unit with Physiotherapy, Speech Therapy and Occupational Therapy for sensory stimulation.
- Research Unit for PWID, Autism, Down Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy for mainstreaming in the Society with clinical-services under Doctors, Psychologists and Psychiatrists.
- A Modern Auditorium with 1500 seating capacity, 5 Seminar Halls with 100 seating, audio-visual system and exhibition of the hand made products of PWID and refreshment with Restaurant facilities, Guest Home with 150 rooms for parents/students coming from outside Dhaka.